Kathi Appelt follows her award-winning and New York Times bestselling novel The Underneath with this stunning, mysterious, and breathtaking tale of a girl who outgrows fairy tales just a little too late—and learns in the end that there is nothing more magical and mythical than love itself.
- Atheneum Books for Young Readers |
- 432 pages |
- ISBN 9781442406087 |
- May 2012 |
- Grades 3 - 7 |
- Lexile ® 770
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Keeper
Author Photo (jpg): Kathi Appelt
Photograph courtesy of the author(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
A Discussion Guide
References to mermaids and mermen are woven throughout the story of Keeper and her family. Ask students to form small groups to investigate the legends and folklore surrounding mermaids and mermen. Ask each group to research one of the following: Sedna, Ningyo, sirens, Meerfrau, Yemaya, Lorelei, and Rusalka. Have students prepare a presentation for the class that would include their findings and a picture of their subject.
1. What is a blue moon? How often does a blue moon occur? What important events supposedly occur on the night of a blue moon?
2. Why does the author allow the reader to see the human characters from Sinbad and BD’s points-of-view? How do the animals portray the humans? What do the readers learn about the animals that they wouldn’t know if they were not able to read the account from the animals’ points-of-view?
3. On page 92, Keeper refers to “double insurance.” What does she mean by that phrase? How does Keeper gain “double insurance”?
4. What does the reader learn about Signe through Keeper’s descriptions and interactions with her? How would you describe Keeper and Signe’s relationship?
5.& see more