Out of My Mind
- Atheneum Books for Young Readers |
- 304 pages |
- ISBN 9781416980452 |
- March 2010 |
- Grades 5 and up |
- Lexile ® 700
Browse Related Books
Right Out of Her Mind, in Her Words
Hear an Excerpt
Reading Group Guide
by Sharon M. Draper
1. The novel opens with a powerful discussion of the power of words and language. How does this help capture the reader’s attention? What predictions can the reader make about the narrator of the story? What inferences can be made about the thought processes of the narrator’s mind?
2. In a world that does not work for her, what seems to cause the biggest frustrations for Melody?
3. Describe Melody’s parents. How do they learn to communicate with Melody and help her to overcome everyday problems? Why are those efforts sometimes a complete failure?
4. How does Melody feel about school? How does she fit in with her classmates and what makes her different from the rest of the children in H-5? What would be Melody’s ideal school situation?
5. Discuss Melody’s teachers since she began going to school. What does this say about her school system, or about attitudes at her school about teaching children with special needs?
6. Describe Mrs. V. What role does she play in Melody’s development? Why is she a necessary addition to Melody’s life?
7. What is significant about the story of Ollie the fish? How does Ollie’s life mirror Melody’s? Describe Melody’s feelings when she is unable to tell her mother what really happened.
8. Describe how the introduction of Penny as see more
Behind the Book
Out of My Mind Behind the Book
The story behind Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
People often ask me, “What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?” I reply, “All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us.” But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is