Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Table of Contents
Listen To An Excerpt
About The Book
AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury comes a heart-wrenching and redemptive story about a couple desperately waiting to bring their adopted child home and a young mother about to make the biggest decision of her life—a story about love, faith, and what it really means to be a family.
Cole Blake, son of Landon and Ashley Baxter Blake, is months away from going off to college to kickstart the great plan he has been dreaming about for years—a career in medicine. But as he starts his final semester of school he meets Elise, a mysterious new girl who captures his attention—and heart—from day one.
Elise has her heart set on mending her wild ways and becoming the good girl she used to be. But not long after the semester starts, she discovers she’s pregnant. Eighteen and alone, she shares her secret with Cole. Undaunted by the news, and in love for the first time in his life, Cole is determined to support Elise—even if it means skipping college so he can marry her and raise another man’s baby.
When Elise decides to give the baby up for adoption, she is matched with Aaron and Lucy Williams, who moved to Bloomington, Indiana, in the hope of escaping the loss and emptiness that seven painful years of trying to start a family has brought them.
But as her due date draws near, Elise becomes more and more torn. She knows she has two weeks after the birth of her daughter to change her mind. With Cole keeping vigil and Lucy and Aaron waiting to welcome their new baby, Elise makes an unexpected decision—one that changes everyone’s plans.
Reading Group Guide
Get a FREE ebook by joining our mailing list today! Plus, receive recommendations for your next Book Club read.
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury comes a heart-wrenching and redemptive new story in the Baxter family series about a couple desperately waiting to bring their adopted child home and a young mother about to make the biggest decision of her life.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Share about a time when you were in a difficult situation. In what ways could you relate to Elise?
2. Tell of a situation when you helped or rescued someone in trouble. How did that work out? Why?
3. Why do you think Cole was so quick to stand by Elise—even forever?
4. Elise changed her mind often. What decision would you make if you were in her spot?
5. Do you agree with Elise’s decision? Why or why not?
6. What are your feelings about adoption? Explain.
7. Ashley was quick to think Cole might’ve been the father of Elise’s baby. Tell of a time when you jumped to conclusions. What did you learn from that?
8. Ashley goes through all the emotions of seeing Cole off to college. Have you or has someone you know gone through this type of goodbye? Tell about that experience.
9. Do you know anyone who has struggled with infertility? Talk about their journey.
10. In general, do you relate more to Aaron or Lucy? Explain.
11. Have you prayed for something that didn’t happen the way you hoped? Talk about it.
12. How is it possible to have faith in God, even when your prayers don’t get answered the way you like?
13. Vienna’s accident happened without warning. Tell of a tragedy in your life or the life of someone you know. How do you get through a personal nightmare?
14. How can faith in God help you survive a tragedy? Give practical examples.
15. Read John 16:33 in the Bible. What do these words mean to you? Are they comforting? Why or why not?
Enhance Your Book Club
1. Cole was a true friend till the end with Elise. Talk about a friend like that in your life. What sets that person apart?
2. Cole is a giver, kind to those in need. What can you do to spread kindness in your family, neighborhood or workplace?
3. The goodbye between Cole and Elise was difficult. Tragic almost. When has a goodbye deeply affected you? Talk about it.
4. As Cole sets off for college and a life of new beginnings, he feels sad. But also hopeful. What new experiences are up ahead for you? Have you ever thought of finding fresh opportunities and possibilities at your local church?
5. How did God help Theo and Alma because of their decision to care for a baby girl during those two weeks? What does the phrase “beauty from ashes” mean to you?
About The Readers
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio (April 9, 2019)
- Runtime: 9 hours and 46 minutes
- ISBN13: 9781508266754
Browse Related Books
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Two Weeks Unabridged Audio Download 9781508266754
- Author Photo (jpg): Karen Kingsbury Photograph © Dean Dixon(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.