Get a FREE e-book by joining our mailing list today!
Plus, receive recommendations for your next Book Club read.
A GUIDE FOR READING GROUPS THE A+ CUSTODIAN
By Louise Borden ABOUT THE BOOK
Through their early morning contact with the school custodian, Zack and Gracie learn of his commitment to his job and their school. Together they devise a plan to recognize his hard work. THEMES
Work ethic; Craftsmanship; Careers; Recognition of work; Awards DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- What job skills does a custodian need?
- What are the responsibilities of a custodian?
- What does the word custodian mean?
- Why did Gracie and Zack follow Mr. Carillo around the school?
- Why did Dublin School decide to honor Mr. Carillo? ACTIVITIES
- Ask a custodian or custodial supervisor to talk with students about job requirements for a custodian. Discuss workload, hours, safety issues, areas of expertise, level of education, and additional training required.
- Initiate a discussion with students about respect for work done in various other departments of the school (food service, transportation, office staff, health services, as well as custodial).
- Utilize another title from the list below and compare/contrast the point of view of the main character(s) to Zack and Gracie in The A+ Custodian.
Repeat the compare/contrast activity for the value placed on the work done by custodial staff. Custodians
by Debbie Yanuck Custodian from the Black Lagoon
by Mike Thaler The Janitor's Boy
by Andrew Clements Feet in the Gym
by Teri Daniels FOLLOW UP
Allow students to plan and execute a recognition day for custodial and/or other support staff.
Please visit http://www.emporia.edu/libsv/wawbookaward/ for more information about the awards and to see curriculum guides for other master list titles.
This reading group guide is for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.
Prepared by Pansy Fryman
© William Allen White Children's Book Award