Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
End Your Covert Mission
Fighting the Battle Against Addiction and Pain
Table of Contents
About The Book
Specialists give veterans the tools to conquer chronic pain and substance use in this to-the-point guide.
For many veterans, life after military service includes what feels like an ongoing mission to disguise or ignore pain. Too often this mission is both secret and lonely—and undertaken without the support or even the knowledge of those around them.
Some strategies to manage physical, social, and psychological pain are only short-term fixes. Self-medicating, substance use, and bottling up emotions don't work as part of civilian life.
Written by professional practitioners in trauma, substance use disorder, pain management, and rehabilitation who are also members of the veteran community, End Your Covert Mission is an approachable, non-judgmental guide for stopping that self-imposed mission and developing solutions that lead to a healthier and happier life.
The book includes features that help readers discover a path to recovery:
- examples of the types of pain veterans may experience
- language for admitting, describing, and sharing these various types of pain
- personal stories from veterans
- effective approaches for connecting with other veterans and family members
- methods to address active substance use
- ways to identify and manage risk factors for future substance use disorders
- Publisher: Hazelden Publishing (November 1, 2022)
- Length: 150 pages
- ISBN13: 9781616499891
Browse Related Books
Resources and Downloads
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.