Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Isla to Island
Table of Contents
About The Book
Marisol loves her colorful island home. Cuba is vibrant with flowers and food and people…but things are changing. The home Marisol loves is no longer safe—and then it’s no longer her home at all. Her parents are sending her to the United States. Alone.
Nothing about Marisol’s new life in cold, gray Brooklyn feels like home—not the language, school, or even her foster parents. But Marisol starts to realize that home isn’t always a place. And finding her way can be as simple as staying true to herself.
About The Illustrator
Alexis Castellanos was born and raised in Florida where she enjoyed sunny days, dramatic thunderstorms, and delicious Cuban food. After graduating from college, she moved to New York City and worked as a scenic artist, bringing theatrical sets to life with a little bit of paint and a whole lot of ingenuity. She currently works as a graphic designer by day and spends her nights dreaming up stories. She lives in Seattle with her partner and her extremely photogenic cat, Belle. Isla to Island is her first graphic novel.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (March 15, 2022)
- Length: 192 pages
- ISBN13: 9781534469259
- Ages: 10 - 99
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
*"Powerfully depict[s] the disorienting experience of immigration in a way reminiscent of Shaun Tan’s The Arrival."
– The Horn Book Magazine, starred review
*"Beautiful and heartbreaking.... [Marisol's] story will resonate with Cuban children growing up on their abuelos’ stories and anyone who has had to leave their home and start over.... An important and authentic look at the Cuban refugee experience."
– Kirkus, starred review
*"Employing spare text in the form of signs and radio chatter in Spanish and English, debut creator Castellanos effectively uses color as a vehicle to portray Marisol’s loving life with her family in Cuba, despair at their separation, and slow arc to a new life in which she honors her Cuban identity through food and music."
– Publishers Weekly, starred review
*"An inspiring, empathy-building story."
– School Library Journal, starred review
"A different kind of immigrant story uniquely told."
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- CBC/NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Book
- SLJ Best Book of the Year
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee
- Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Nominee (MD)
- ALA Great Graphic Novels for Teens
- New York Public Library Best Books for Kids
- Américas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
- The Will Eisner Graphic Novel Nominee
- Little Maverick Graphic Novel Reading List
- ALA Round Table Best Graphic Novels for Children
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Isla to Island Fixed Layout eBook 9781534469259
- Author Photo (jpg): Alexis Castellanos Janssed Solberg(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.